People like Josh are always there when we need them. Josh was born and raised in Mt. Ayr, and practically grew up in the fire house. His father was a fire fighter, so he was encouraged to follow in his footsteps. Upon graduation from high school in 2012, he signed on as volunteer fire fighter. Shortly thereafter, he spent months completing the training and certification required to be a search and rescue diver.
When he turned 21, he joined the Ringgold County Hospital ambulance crew as a driver. This super first responder is also a reserve police officer. He’s on call 24 hours a day, seven days a week for these jobs. “I’m a busy guy,” admitted Josh. “As long as I can help someone, I’m happy,” he said. In his role as a search and rescue diver, he travels as far as 100 miles with the Midwest Regional Dive Team when they’re needed. “There are quite a few lakes and rivers in the area. It’s satisfying to know we’ve found a body for the family. But at the same time, you’ve found a body, so that’s tough.”
Being a part of the first responders community means a lot to Josh. “The guys are like family. They’re some of my best friends and I’ve known many of them, like the fire chief, all my life.” He’s on call 24 hours a day, seven days a week for these jobs. “I’m a busy guy,” admitted Josh. When he’s not helping others in an emergency situation, Josh is happy hanging out with his extended family: aunts, uncles, and cousins. He enjoys being outdoors hunting and fishing and plans to stay in the area all his life. The community is all the better because of dedicated, caring people like Josh.
Summertime fire safety tips
Josh Case and other area fire fighters don’t want to visit your family this summer. As temperatures heat up, it’s important to remember that a fire can also heat up and rage out of control in as little as 30 seconds. Follow these tips to help prevent fires from starting in the first place:
• Replace your AC air filters regularly and never use an extension cord for a window AC unit.
• Keep the stove clean. Grease build-up can trigger a fire when contact with heat or a flame is made.
• Inspect your attic or basement for damaged wires. Rodents and insects can chew on and damage wiring, which can lead to an electrical fire.
• Take power surges and blown fuses in your home seriously. Flickering lights or occasional power surges could indicate a short somewhere in your home. Have it checked by an electrician.
• Position grills at least 10 feet away from your home, and never place under low hanging tree
branches or plants. When disposing of hot coals, drench them with water to make sure the fire is
• Obey burn bans. Never burn trash, leaves, or brush outdoors if there is a burn ban. If you can burn these items, have a water source readily available.
• Store flammable liquids such as gasoline, poisons, and other flammables safely outdoors. If possible, store them in a building not connected to your home.
• Use caution when parking vehicles on dry grass or brush as a hot exhaust could start a fire.
• Have cigarette smokers take it outside. Provide sand-filled containers to place cigarette butts, and make sure butts are completely extinguished.
• Develop a family fire escape plan and practice it once a month so everyone in the household
knows what to do in case of fire.
• Install smoke detectors in your home and test them monthly. Replace batteries at least once a year.
• Own a fire extinguisher and know where to find it.
Print and read the full story