Keep your heart beating strong by following these healthy heart tips!
• Improve your blood pressure: Have your blood pressure checked frequently by your doctor and keep a record so you can identify and track changes.
• Live Smoke Free: Smoking narrows your blood vessels which can increase your blood pressure.
• Maintain a Healthy Weight: Being overweight makes your heart work harder causing high blood pressure.
• Eat less sodium: Eat less than 2300 milligrams of sodium a day.
• Be more active: Exercise can help lower your blood pressure and your weight. Aim for 20-30 minutes of moderate exercise each day.
• Manage the stress in your life: You will always have some stress, but learn to control it.
• Learn to relax: When you relax, your blood vessels relax too.
• Take blood pressure medicine: If your doctor prescribes it, take it!
• Know your numbers: Don’t let your numbers be a mystery. Know them and track them to keep up with your progress and so you can watch for any changes.
UNDERSTAND YOUR RESULTS
Best: less than 200
Borderline high: 200-239
High: 240 or higher
LDL (Bad) cholesterol
Best: less than 100
Near best: 100-129
Borderline high: 130-159
Very high: 190 or higher
HDL (Good) cholesterol
Low: less than 40 for men,
less than 50 for women
Very good: 60 or higher
Normal: less than 150
Borderline high: 150-199
Very high: 500 or higher